From Investigating ICTs to Integration and beyond

Table taken from EDC3100 course materials

Considering the above stage model (Finger et al., 2007), I believe I am currently sitting at the Investigation stage.

Through studying EDC 3100 ICT & Pedagogy I am hoping to not only learn how to competently and confidently use ICTs with students, but also ensure that this use is integral in supporting students to achieve learning outcomes. Hopefully this course will set me up to further my own learning and development so that some day I can take on leadership roles in the use of ICT as my confidence and abilities grow!

I’m sure that developing my PLN is a positive step towards these goals as it will remain with me and continue to evolve long after the final assessment for EDC3100 has been submitted.

I’m interested in discovering and implementing different ways that ICT can be used in a school setting. Up until now everything has been theory and I feel that incorporating ICT has been more about their “use” and less about “integration” (Lloyd, 2005; Twinings, 2002), for example, having students use a word processor to type their final report – in this case ICT is not really critical to their learning.

Before I can competently and critically use ICT with my students I need to develop my own knowledge and abilities – I think the best way to do this is by getting involved and trying everything, which will also set the positive example to students that all it takes is the willingness to have a go! I’m amazed at how much I have already learnt in one week. Here I am blogging, inserting images and links, keeping up to date with my PLN on Twitter, sharing resources with fellow students through Diigo, and creating mind maps and word clouds with free online programs such as Spiderscribe, Mindmeister and Abcya. How can one expect to use these technologies confidently with students if they have never tried them out?

If ICTs were “critical to the support of the learning environment” as described in the integration stage of the above model, then my teaching would have ICTs embedded in the actual learning experiences, so that students are engaging with technology to help them learn, including using ICTs to gather, record, store, exchange, distribute, access, manipulate, communicate and present data. My fellow pre-service educator, Mrs Frintzilas, is compiling a list of ICTs for each of these areas on her blog post, The things that ICTs allow us to do. This is something to keep in mind as I explore more ways to integrate ICTs into teaching and learning, and move towards the integration, (and someday transformation!) stage.

References:

Finger, G., Russell, G., Jamieson-Proctor, R. & Russell, N. (2007). Transforming learning with ICT: Making it happen. Frenchs Forest, NSW Australia: Pearson Education Australia.

Lloyd, M. (2005). Towards a definition of the integration of ICT in the classroom. In AARE’05 Education Research – Creative Dissent: Constructive Solutions. Parramatta, New South Wales.

Twining, P. (2002). Conceptualising computer use in education: introducing the Computer Practice Framework (CPF). British Educational Research Journal, 28(1), 95–110. doi:10.1080/0141192012010977

One thought on “From Investigating ICTs to Integration and beyond

1. Pingback: The things that ICT’s allow us to do – building a collaborative list